Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Are You Listening?

I love themes. I love to learn through themes. The world is full of opinions and thoughts, ideas, and there's a lot to digest. But I find when we see similar themes exposed through various interactions and circumstances in life, those we need to pay attention to. Maybe I'm just simple. :)

I love when God uses a lot of different people saying the same thing to make himself clear. He may bring a friend, a co worker, even someone who doesn't know him the same as you... he may take a pastor's message, a scripture verse, a song... and wrap it all up in one theme. Its a message from him.

When I feel a little spiritually ADD, I find the best thing is to simply put myself in a position to receive a lot of inputs... such as the above. My brain seems to process these inputs into those themes I can digest.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." James 1:2-8

This is this weeks theme. With so much on my mind, everything, everyone, if just pointing me to ask God what he thinks, to ask for his help. So simple... but is this something we often simply forget to do? Sometimes. We crave answers and try to figure everything out. Yet, God is just waiting for the simple words "explain this to me" or "what should i do?" or "will you help me?".

I statused yesterday on Facebook that I felt confused in 12 directions on at least 3 different issues. Oh how sweet this morning has been to get some clarity by looking at the themes of inputs from the last 24 hours(though I'm quite late for work!).

These were the answers I heard:

1) Had to do with my writing and the future of it. The answer: Just write. Don't think about tomorrow. Don't worry. Just keep doing what you've been doing and let the future unfold any way it may. Both w/writing and the new job.

2) Confidential. The answer: Pray and trust me (God). Praise me (God) in spite of anything that happens. Remember you don't have the whole picture and I am huge and am going to do amazing things, even if it seems hard and not look like you hope. Do not lose hope and don't give up on me. Remember I am God.

3) Confidential. The answer: Step back, pray, and trust me (God). Know that I have a plan and you don't need to figure it out. You don't need the answers today. Keep your eyes fixed on me. Don't move too fast towards or away from anything or anyone. Live in the day to day with all and enjoy. I'll unfold the right thing at the right time and you will be amazed and pleased.

I don't know the pangs on your heart today, but I have the feeling that for some of them, the same answers above apply to you. Whether a career challenge, a trial, a heart cry, any number of issues, the themes are clear.

Will you ask these questions today? Will you put yourself in a posture to receive lots of information so God might reveal a theme? I pray you will.

No comments: